"What Do You Do?": A Day in The Life of A Public Defender
Monday, April 12, 2021 at 6:00 pm
During this interactive discussion, you will have unfettered access to a panel of Black public defenders from across the country, state and federal level, who will give you a glimpse into a day in the life of a public defender in their jurisdiction. Bring your questions!
- Ira Coates, Assistant Defender of the Defenders Association of Philadelphia
- JoEllyn Jones, Deputy Public Defender in the New Jersey Office of the Public Defender
- Brittni Downs, Trial Attorney at the Maryland Office of the Public Defender
- Christian Lassiter, Assistant Federal Defender of Baltimore City
Understanding Your Why!
Monday, April 19, 2021 at 5:30 pm
During this panel, public defenders from varied experience levels will discuss what brought them to the world of public defense and what keeps them motivated in this work!
- Sharone Mitchell Jr., Cooke County Public Defender
- Andrenette Sullivan, Assistant Public Defender in the Office of the Public Defender, 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Alaina Bloodworth, Director of Equity Diversity and Inclusion of the Baton Rouge Office of Public Defender
Acing the Public Defender Interview
Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:00 pm
During our final event for this month, we will be joined by two recruitment directors who will provide insight into the hiring process for public defender offices and will answer any questions you have about securing your dream job! Students interested in receiving feedback on their resumes will be asked to submit resumes prior to the event using Google form.
- Jennifer Thomas, Director of Legal Recruiting for D.C. Public Defender Service
- Thanisha Pariage, Recruiting & Hiring Manager of the Bronx Defender